There are four washing machines and one tumbling dryer in the basement of Hinterhaus, west wing (see map). To use those, you need to have a Girocard (which you get if you open an account at a german bank) with Geldkarte. To learn more about the diffculties we are facing with Geldkarte, see below.
- You can check online if a washing machine is available, just click here and enter the following login:
This information is not confidential. It is just not possible right now to see the washing machine availability status without login. Apparently, in the beginning of 2019, the washing machine's server will change, maybe it will then be possible to get the information without login.
As you can see in the picture, you can only check wether a washing machine is available or not. You cannot see when a washing machine will be available again. Click on “Aktualisieren” or press F5 to refresh and check, if a machine's status has changed.
- Open the drawer on the left top of the washing machine.
- On the right side goes the detergent for the pre-wash. You would only put detergent in there if you think your clothes need a pre-wash. But in that case, you would have to choose the extra “Pre-Wash” when setting up the washing programme, otherwise detergent put on the right side would not be used.
- In the middle goes the detergent for the main washing.
- On the left side goes the softener.
… you can choose the optional “Pre-wash” earlier mentioned.
Keep in mind that choosing the options “Intensive” and “Pre-wash” put additional strain on your clothes and they might wash out and wear and tear earlier.
- Your washing machine is now waiting for you to start the programme. Start it by pushing the “Start”-button (Thanks Captain Obvious).
Once you hear your washing machine clicking and the sound of running water, you can be sure it is working.
- It will now show you when it will be done. You may set the alarm on your mobile phone now to not forget your laundry.
If you only have little laundry, the machine will finish earlier. That is no problem, the machine is just very intelligent and adapts the length of the washing programme to the amount of laundry.
If you are late or the machine has finished earlier than indicated, people may want to use your washing machine before you are there. If you leave your laundry basket (or whatever you are using for your laundry) on the washing machine, people can put your clean laundry there. Otherwise, they might put it on the top of washing machine (which may not always be very clean).
- Once the programme is finished, open the washing machine to take out your clothes.
- KEEP IT OPEN when you're finished please. If you close the door, the washing machine cannot dry and starts smelling.
- Finally, turn off the washing machine.
The german Volksbank banks will stop supporting the Geldkarte in 2018, all the other banks will follow in 2020. This means, you won't be able to load your Geldkarte at a Volksbank ATM anymore. You can use every ATM from another bank though. We, the SV already have an offer from the company that is supporting us technically with the washing machines to change to a new way of payment that supports Girocard and credit card. So why are we still using Geldkarte?
Reasons against changing the payment system:
Of course, we can always reconsider and change the payment system. But for the moment, as everybody somehow manages to get their clothes washed, we'd rather keep it with the Geldkarte as long as it is supported.